Have you been put in charge of arranging your work Christmas function? It’s such a big task! Co-ordinating the venue, the guest list, the menus, and the whole time meeting staff expectations AND the bosses budgets! We do not envy you at all. But did you know your official workplace functions are covered by the same rules as your regular workplace? It’s called Vicarious Lioability.
The following is a quote from Workplace OHS on your potential obligations:
Employers also have responsibilities to ensure the safety of all employees at work-related Christmas functions by taking steps to prevent inappropriate conduct, including:
• ensuring responsible service and consumption of alcohol, together with appropriate quantities of food and non-alcoholic beverages
• having a code of conduct and drug and alcohol policy in place prior to Christmas functions, and reminding employees of those policies before the function
• training employees and managers in relation to the standard of conduct required at work functions
• making appropriate transport arrangements if alcoholic beverages are served
• having appropriate monitoring and supervision at the party
• having a complaints process
• taking appropriate and timely action if issues arise.
You can read the full article here.
Sorry if we just increased your stress levels – but it’s much better to plan ahead and try to avoid any mishaps!
That’s where we come in. We have done this all before, and our team of police cleared, fully licensed drivers can transport your team safely to and from staff funcitons so that there’s a diminished risk to their safety and your responsibilities as an employer are being met.
More info on our Corporate Services.
Call us now for a quote – or use our online booking form
Other Helpful links:
Australian Business Lawyers article
Vicarious Liability article – Australian Human Rights Comission